GozoChurches.com » Zebbug - St Mary

Information about this Church or Chapel
Locality in Gozo Zebbug
Status Parish church
Year Built 1690
Dedication Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Santa Marija)
Feast date 4th Sunday in August

Zebbug is perched on a hill to the north of Gozo. Its name is Maltese for olives or olive trees.

The village church, dedicated to Santa Marija, the Assumption, is literally covered with onyx, a semi-precious stone. The high altar, the choir, and the baptistery are all sculpted out of this onyx.

This parish was established by Bishop Davide Cocco-Palmeri on 28 April 1688. The building of the present church was initiated in 1690 and it was consecrated on 30 September 1726. The Cathedral apart, it is the oldest parish church consecrated in Gozo. It was conferred the Archipresbyteral status on 12 March 1963. Worthy of special mention is the altar-piece of the Immaculate Conception in a chapel in the left transept, known by the people as tal-Virtut, of the miracles. Several folk can swear to this day, that they see the radiant face of the Virgin turning yellowish and pale before an impending natural catastrophe. It is also said that one day, when some corsairs dared to devastate the countryside as far as the village, a lady that resembled the image in the altarpiece appeared on the spot hurling stones to repel the foe.

Zebbug 01 View
Zebbug 02 Front
Zebbug 03 Front
Zebbug 04 Bell Tower
Zebbug 05 Interior
Zebbug 06 Altar
Zebbug 07 Altar Closeup
Zebbug 08 Altar Paintings1

Page | 1 | 2 |
14 Images | Link 1 - Malta Nature Tours | Link 2 - Wild Plants of Malta | Gozo Churches HomePage | Website Created by Stephen Mifsud and Malin Mifsud | Email us (info@gozochurches.com) | Help