Qala is the easternmost village of Gozo. Its name is Maltese and Arabic for bay or sheltered haven.
The village parish church is dedicated to St Joseph. It was built by the same architect-priest who built the church of Ghasri, Dun Guzepp Diacono, between 1882 and 1889, when he was serving as parish priest of Qala. It is built in baroque, for many churches on the island, whether built in the seventeenth or in the latter half of the twentieth century, were constructed in this style.
Qala became a parish on 3 February 1872, the first to be established after the establishment of the Diocese of Gozo. Until 1889, the seat of the parish church was the church of the Immaculate Conception of Our Lady. The foundation stone of the parish of Saint Joseph was laid on 19 March 1882 and the church was consecrated on 8 May 1904. The parish became Archipresbyteral on 21 April 1965.