|One of the earliest Marian shrines on the island and dates back to 1575. In the early 1650's, the chapel was enlarged and on 28th April 1688, it became the parish church of the eastern part of Gozo, Qala,Nadur and Għajnsielem and remained so for about 12 years. It served again as a parish church of Qala from February 1872 to February 1889. It was consecrated on the 21st May 1950. Between 1982 and 1988 the inside was gilded and refurbished.The main attraction is the altarpiece, attributed to Federico Barocci di Urbino. It shows God extending his special protection to the Immaculate Conception.The Virgin Mary was crowned on 1st August 1954.