Fontana (which means spring in Italian) took its name from a beautiful spring at the road leading to Xlendi, known as il-Ghajn il-Kbira (the large spring).
Because of this useful fresh water spring people began to inhabit the area. In the sixteenth century, an arched shelter was built over the spring for the convenience of the people. Most of the fishermen that operated from the village of Xlendi lived in Fontana. Late in the nineteenth century, they began setting aside part of the proceeds from their catches to raise a church. The foundation stone of the church was laid on 29 January 1892 and it was dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in 1905. It was consecrated thirteen years to that day on 29 January 1905. The church was established parish of Fontana on 27 March 1911 during the bishopric of Giovanni Maria Camilleri.